Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wine Dinner #1 - Home: Be My Valentine

Wine Dinner #1: Be My Valentine
============================================
*Note: I could've sworn I posted this entry a long time ago, but apparently there was an issue sharing this blog post. I've remedied the situation and hope you enjoy this Valentine's themed dinner!*

Valentine's Day is known as THE most romantic day of the calendar year. Full of flowers, chocolates, love, and even stuffed animals, Valentine's Day has radically evolved from it's darker, Roman origin. The festival of Lupercalia, a three day celebration of sacrifices and lotteries, involved young men hitting women to increase their fertility...not sure where the science was in all that, but I'm definitely glad that we don't practice this anymore. I much prefer calm dinners and an exchange of gifts with your loved ones, so I organized a dinner on Valentine's Day with my girlfriend, her sister, my roommate, and his girlfriend [Lassallete Newton].

~ Appetizer ~
Food: Brie cheese & pretzels
Wine Name: Apothic
Grape: Zinfandel, Syrah, Merlot, & Cab Sauvignon
Region: California
Country: USA
Year: 2013
Price: $9.99 (Kroger UCB)

Wine Description:
      "Apothic Red reveals intense fruit aromas and flavors of blackberry and dark cherry layered with hints of mocha, chocolate and brown spice. The plush, velvety mouthfeel and smooth finish round out this intriguing, full-bodied red blend."

Personal Review:
      Apothic Red was a surprising little red blend that intrigued me. It is not one of my favorite blends out there from California, but good nonetheless. After a sniffy-sniff, I detected strawberry and black cherry, with a hint of coffee or chocolate (I'm not 100% sure of either). On the tongue it was dry and definitely brought out the black cherry I smelled. It had a funny effect when I started to drink the wine while eating the Brie cheese and pretzels. The wine opened up and exposed its acidity more, which I think paired quite well with the smooth, richness of the Brie.  

Personal Score: G (3.2/5); G (3.5/5 with Brie)

~ Entree ~
Food: Baked Red Snapper with a Dijon Mustard glaze, green beans, and sweet potato casserole
Wine Name: Starborough
Grape: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Marlborough
Country: New Zealand
Year: 2015
Price: $10.99 (Kroger UCB)

Wine Description:
      "Starborough Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc’s crisp, approachable style is characterized by layers of citrus and ripe tropical fruit with some herbal notes. The wine shows flavors of passion fruit, guava and kiwi over a citrus background."

Personal Review:
      Fruit BOMB Alert!! Wow, you are smacked in the nose by citrus, garden herbs, and a little Granny Smith apple. On the palette, I tasted citrus and more of the Granny Smith apple, which gave this wine a nice crisp aspect to it. I thought the sweet, fruity taste of the Starborough Sauvignon Blanc paired well with the red snapper. The crisp flavor of the wine I thought paired exceptionally well with the green beans.

Personal Score: G (3.5/5 with food)

~ Dessert ~
Food: Pilsbury Sugar Cookies
Wine Name: Simi
Grape: Chardonnay
Region: California
Country: USA
Year: 2014
Price: $12.99 (Kroger UCB)

Wine Description:
      "Simi Chardonnay is characterized by excellent balance, luscious fruit flavors and a long, elegant finish. Lively on the palate with green apple, stone fruit and light citrus, accented by cream and spice notes from barrel fermentation.

Personal Review:
      The Simi Chardonnay is still my absolute favorite Chardonnay I've had so far in my side career as a wine drinker. I do have to thank my neighbor for introducing me to this lovely wine! I've had this wine on multiple occasions and on the nose I've been able to detect a spices, citrus, Granny Smith apple, wet rock, and some oak, giving this wine an absolutely beautiful aroma. Taste-wise, I can detect the apple, citrus, and oak for sure. The after taste includes some of that wet rock I discussed on the nose. However, it is not a dessert wine and therefore doesn't show it's brilliance alongside the Pillsbury cookies. I highly recommend this wine to someone who love a good Chardonnay!

Personal Score: VG (4.3/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment