Sunday, March 6, 2016

Tasting - Monte Antico Toscana

Wine Tasting #8
============================================
Name: Monte Antico Toscana
Grape: Sangiovese, Merlot, & Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: Tuscany
Country: Italy
Year: 2011
Price: $12.99 (Kroger UCB)

James Suckling Review:
      "This is real Tuscan wine at an excellent price. It's fresh and bright with dried cherry and citrus fruit aromas and flavors. Long and vivid finish. Drink and enjoy." - James Suckling 90 points

Personal Review:
     This blend defines what people call a "super tuscan", even though whenever I hear that term I picture a super hero or something as ridiculous as a bottle from Tuscany draped in a burgundy-red cape. Neither here nor there, Monte Antico has produced a very vibrant and lively wine. I let the bottle decant for about an hour (mainly because I was very eager to try this bottle and I couldn't wait much longer), and poured a glass while I cooked beef stroganoff in the kitchen. My initial impression of the wine without food was that it was delightful but just a bit overpowering with smokey and spicy characteristics both in the nose and in the taste. I decided to continue drinking Monte Antico's Toscana during my meal and I cannot stress how much food influences the taste of wine!! It seemed like I was drinking a completely different bottle; the smooth, bitter cherry, and wood mid-palette complimented the creamy and meaty nature of the beef stroganoff. I liked this bottle of wine so much, I went back to Kroger and bought another one for future consumption. Please seek out this wine and give if a good ol' sniff and swirl. I promise you will not be disappointed if you enjoy a stronger nose of wood and spice!

Personal Score: VG (4.5/5)



No comments:

Post a Comment