Thursday, March 17, 2016

Tasting - Baron des Chartons

Wine Tasting #13
============================================
Name: Baron des Chartrons
Grape: Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: Bordeaux
Country: France
Year: 2013
Price: $27.00 (Black Hen-Bottle)
          $8.00 (Black Hen-Glass)
          $12.99 (Kroger UCB)

Winemaker Note:
       "Beautiful bright red, with the brilliance of a young wine. The nose is full of fresh fruit, cherry and notes of undergrowth. On the palate, this wine has balance and finesse. An elegant wine, with discreet tannic structure, a clean attack, and a long, aromatic mouth.

Personal Review:
     Bordeaux is a newer grape to me and is slowly becoming one of my top 5 favorite grapes. I recently went to the Black Hen, located in downtown Blacksburg, with my girlfriend and decided to have a glass of wine with dinner. They offered certain wines by glass, but most by bottle. I opted for a glass of Bordeaux with the idea that I would be ordering a flank steak. When my glass came out, I swirled the wine for about 5 minutes to coat the glass with the wine molecules and break up the tannins. The nose of this Bordeaux was extremely pleasing, expressing elements of cherry and some other fruits that I couldn't quite separate from one another. On the tongue, it was a bigger, and bolder wine but didn't have much of a harsh tannic tone (probably because I let this wine aerate for a bit). The Bordeaux was alive and kicking, but paired extremely well with my flank steak. The steak itself had melted brie cheese, so the sweet and warm nature of the brie helped unify the steak with the wine. I would highly recommend this wine for a bigger Bordeaux drinker or a wino who like a cheaper bottle of Bordeaux!

Personal Score: VG (4.2/5)


*Image Above: my girlfriend was very kind to pose next to the wine.*





No comments:

Post a Comment