Saturday, February 20, 2016

Tasting - Torrebruna Sangiovese

Wine Tasting #5
============================================
Name: Torrebruna
Grape: Sangiovese
Region: Toscana
Country: Italy
Year: 2013
Price: $11.99 (Kroger South Main)

Winemaker Notes:
      "For our Torrebruna we attentively select the best Sangiovese grapes with the aim of producing and authentic Tuscan red dominated by fruity and spicy notes that only this vine can express thanks to the Tuscan soil and climate." Note from Winemaker.

There is not professional review or in-depth analysis of this wine, so for this wine please enjoy what the winemaker has to say about this Sangiovese.

Personal Review:
     For lack of a better phrase, this is "one fine Italiano wine". Torrebruna's Sangiovese is an excellent example of a traditional, old-world, Tuscan wine. It has a spice typical of the region but maintains a smooth, almost silky quality that makes this one stand out from the deep sea of Sangiovese-based wines. I opened up the bottle, and immediately poured a glass for myself. For this wine I decided to do a before and after smelling. First opening the bottle, you smell a strong wood scent, reminiscent of a pine or spruce forest, with almost no fruity aspect. However, after letting the wine breathe, this wine took shape and smacked me in the face saying, "Hey I have pleasant aromas now that you let me aerate!" I inhaled rather deeply and experienced elements of cherries, and chocolates giving this wine a lovely bouquet of aromaticity! Unfortunately I did not pair this wine with any type of food, but I will in the future!

Personal Score: G (3.5/5)



No comments:

Post a Comment